What to Expect
This six-hour online seminar is designed specifically for writers looking to draft more compelling, resonant, and authentic prose, whether composing fiction, narrative nonfiction, or memoir.
In addition to exploring how mindful awareness can guide our craft, we will also discuss the myriad ways a solid meditation practice can serve to keep us healthy, both mentally and physically.
Suitable for beginning meditators as well as those with an established practice, novice writers as well as published authors.
Scroll down for a more detailed class description.
Meet The Instructor
April Dávila has been practicing meditation since 2002. She is currently in the final stages of a Mindfulness Meditation Teacher Certification Program, studying under Jack Kornfield and Tara Brach. She received her masters degree in writing from USC in 2010 and her debut novel, "142 Ostriches," was published in the spring of 2020 to excellent reviews. When she's not meditating or riding bikes with her kids, she can usually be found at her desk writing fiction. For more information check out her website at http://aprildavila.com
This six-hour course will aim at the following topics (leaving room for deviation as appropriate):
Introduction to Mindfulness
An introduction to insight meditation for those who are new to the practice (or could use a review).
- Meeting Our Inner Critic With Kindness
- We will discuss the science of reactivity in our human brains. We will name our inner critics, and learn to quiet them with kindness.
- Exploring the Minds of Our Characters
- We can use our understanding of our own patterned responses to understand our characters’ motivation and write relatable, sympathetic individuals.
- World Building
- Using mindfulness we can hone our powers of observation, slow down and fill our writing with the kind of rich details that immerse readers.
- Emotional Resonance on the Page
- We will explore our own emotions and practice sitting with them so that we might better write emotional scenes with empathy and precision.
- Dealing With Writer's Block
- Banish writer's block by taking a closer look at what is keeping you from writing.
The day will include periods of meditation as well as various writing exercises.
The Mindful Writers Workshop is $55.
The cost is reduced to $20 for self-identified writers of color (BIPOC).
Click below to register.
If you have any trouble with registration, please email
Fist Bump Buddha